How do I contact the Police Department?

In an emergency dial 911 from any phone within the Town of Rotterdam and you will reach a Public Safety Dispatcher. This number applies for any emergency – police, fire, or emergency medical services ( EMS ).

For non-emergency calls requiring police assistance, call (518) 630-0911.

Front Lobby and Records Division are open Mon-Fri 8am-4pm


(518) 630-0911

(518) 355-7331

Other numbers of interest:

Animal Control – (518) 630-0911
Town Court – (518) 355-7911 

Where is the Police Department located?

The Police Department is located at 101 Princetown Road in Rotterdam. View a map of the Police Department address and you can also get driving directions from that link.

How do I file a bad check complaint?

Before any enforcement action can commence several steps must be taken by you the complainant. To view these steps and print them please go here .

How do I get a copy of a report?

If you need a copy of an accident report you may come to the front desk of the police department to request one. It is generally advisable to wait at least 48 hours after the accident to request a copy since it must be submitted and reviewed before it can be released. Accidents where a hit and run occurred or those involving serious injuries or death may take much longer. You may check on the availability of an accident report by calling the Police Front Desk at 355-7331 during normal business hours 8am-4pm Mon-Fri

Reports of other incidents may be obtained by filing a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request form at the Police Front Desk. This form is an application for the release of information. You will be notified within 5 days in regard to the release of information. Copies of some reports may be available sooner. FOIL forms are available here FOIL FORM Contact the Records Division (355-7331) during normal business hours 8am-4pm Mon-Fri for further information.

Why doesn’t the Town install a stop sign “here”?

Stop signs are installed based on at a particular intersection based on traffic volumes, visibility and the accident rate. Many people believe that stops signs are the answer to controlling speed along streets. The NY State Manual of Codes, Rules and Regulations Title 17B (NYCRR Title17B) states that stop signs are not to be used as a speed control device, but to identify who has the right of way at an intersection. Studies have shown that when unwarranted stop signs are installed along a road, motorists soon realize that the stops signs are unnecessary, and begin to run the stop sign. This behavior could lead to an accident. Also, motorists tend to speed up after an unwarranted stop sign as they are frustrated having to stop or slow at what they feel is an unnecessary stop sign. In many cases, measured speeds have been higher between unwarranted stop signs than before the signs were installed.

How do I make the police department aware of a traffic concern (speeders, illegal passing) that happens on my street or elsewhere in town?

The Rotterdam Police Department is committed to making our roads safe. Please report immediate safety concerns to (518) 630-0911 or you may email Sergeant Anthony Varrone at avarrone@rotterdamny.org.

How do I answer a traffic ticket issued by a Rotterdam Police Officer?

* Any Misdemeanor Offense MUST report to court on the date stated on the ticket.
* Any Violation Offense – a plea must be entered on the back of the ticket and returned to the court by mail or in person by the date stated on the ticket.

* Part A – Guilty plea will result in a fine and points on your license when applicable.
* Part B – Not Guilty plea will result in a assigned court date.

Your correct telephone number, complete mailing address, and zip code is required.

Rotterdam Town Court – 518-355-7911
101 Princetown Rd, Rotterdam, NY 12306
Monday thru Friday – 8:00am – 4:00pm

Can I have tinted windows on my vehicle?

According to the NY State Vehicle and Traffic Law under section 375-12, if you have a 1992 or later model year passenger car or station wagon, the side windows adjacent to AND behind the operators seat must have a light transmittance of SEVENTY PERCENT or greater. If you own a vehicle classified by the EPA as a truck or light truck ONLY the area BEHIND the operators seat may be tinted with a tint less than seventy percent. These types of vehicles include but are not limited to: SUVs, Mini Vans, Full size vans and Pick up trucks. All types of vehicles 1992 or later, the windows adjacent to the operators seat must have a light transmittance of SEVENTY PERCENT or greater. If your vehicle is older than a 1992 it must conform to a older V&T section which was a light transmittance of greater than thirty five percent. This section was first written in the 1985 era.

What is light transmittance? If clear glass has a light transmittance of 100 percent, than any type of tint or film that is placed on the glass to impede the outside light from transmitting through the glass to the inside would lessen the light transmittance. If half of the light from the outside is blocked by the tint then the light transmittance would be fifty percent.
Rear Windows: The rear most window can be tinted to any percentage IF the vehicle is equipped with side rear view mirrors on both sides.
Exemptions: There is a exemption for medical reasons. More information can be obtained at any DMV office.
How do the officers measure the tint? Some patrols carry a tint meter that accurately measures the light transmittance.

Can I cover my license plates with a plastic cover to protect them?

According to the NY State Vehicle and Traffic Law under section 402-1, number (license) plates “shall not be covered by glass or ANY plastic material”

Can I use my ATV on the powerlines or railroad tracks?

Operating ATV’s  on public streets, sidewalks, parks, other public lands without the expressed permission of the land owner is illegal. ATV’s can only be operated on Official NYS ATV Trails or private property.  Operating them along the power lines or railroad tracks in Rotterdam is illegal.  Operators will be ticketed and the vehicle will be towed at the owner’s expense.

I just bought a motorized scooter – now, I am told that I can’t use it on the street or sidewalk. Is this true?

Although they can not be legally registered or operated on public streets and highways, the sales of motorized scooters, sometimes referred to as go-peds, have become popular. According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, motorized scooters are motor vehicles under state law, but they do not have the correct equipment or design for operation on roadways.

DMV also advises that these motorized scooters, or go-peds, are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. Operators are subject to arrest if they operate a motorized vehicle and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment.