The Town of Rotterdam Police Department is comprised of 44 sworn Police Officers. Rotterdam officers are trained at the Zone 5 Law Enforcement Training Center in Schenectady, NY. The 24 week program includes instruction on various laws, procedures, firearms, defensive tactics, and emergency vehicle operations. After completion of the academy, officers begin a 5 month in-service training program under the guidance of a field training officer.
Requirements For Police Officer
- Candidates must be a resident of New York State in either Albany, Schenectady, Schoharie, Montgomery or Saratoga County for at least one (1) month immediately preceding the date of the examination. Preference will be given to applicants who are residents of the Town of Rotterdam for at least four (4) months prior to the date of the examination.
- Candidates must be at least nineteen (19) years old on or before the date of the exam and must have reached his/her twentieth (20) birthday to be certified eligible for appointment.
- Candidates must have completed thirty (30) college credit hours from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university.
- Candidates must be in possession of a valid New York State driver license.
- Candidates are required to satisfactorily complete an oral interview board, medical exam, psychological exam,physical fitness screening and background investigation.
- Candidates will be required to successfully complete a 24 week police academy.
- Retirement benefits include half pay after 20 years of service and an additional 1/60 added for each year after 20 years
- 2 weeks vacation after 1 year of service.
- Four (4) paid holidays a year, double time pay for holidays worked.
The Rotterdam Police is a New York State Accredited Agency since 2001.